Thursday 12 April 2018

Pitchfork Porter

Pitchfork Porter comes from Oast House Brewers out of Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. I ordered myself a 483mL can at Pinkerton’s in Toronto’s east end while waiting for the Bitter Wife.

Billed as a “traditional dry English-style porter”, Pitchfork contained 5.3% alcohol. A clear dark beer with ruby highlights, Pitchfork poured with a thin layer of cream head. The beer had a chocolatey scent; malt-focused and only slightly sweet. Flavour-wise, fresh cocoa notes kicked things off, building to a gently bitter finish.

Oast House is a quality Ontario that often doesn’t get the love that some of the bigger players do. I’ve yet to sip one of their beers that I didn’t enjoy, and Pitchfork was no exception. Not an earthshaking or unusual porter, the strength of this little guy is due to the skill with which it is brewed. I’d have liked it to be a bit more acerbic through the finish, but otherwise, I had little to complain about.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment