Wednesday 7 February 2018

Truth Serum


During my debut visit to Rorschach Brewing Co., I asked my server to recommend the beer that was most characteristic of the brewery. Without any hesitation at all, she recommended Truth Serum, a 6.5% double-dry hopped IPA brewed with oats.

Truth Serum is a hazy dull-gold ale. It arrived with a thin covering of loose eggshell head. Its nose is a veritable clangor of hoppy, tropical fruit notes. To the palate, the beer is bitter, particularly in the early going, with grapefruit elements. Behind that, there is a bit of a thin spot where the flavours are a touch less rambunctious than I might have hoped, leading into a fairly dank, hoppy finish. The oats give Truth Serum a lovely, smooth mouthfeel that added to my enjoyment.

If Truth Serum is indicative of the quality of Rorschach’s brewing acumen, then I’m a believer. It’s not the best dry-hopped IPA I’ve ever tried, but it is clearly skillfully brewed according to a grand design and to suit someone’s personal specs. I prefer my IPAs to be a touch stronger and more pushy, but Truth Serum left me feeling satisfied and contemplative, which is a definite win.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment