Wednesday 27 December 2017

Beerdevil IPA


I attended a bang up conference in Niagara Falls, Ontario in October. While I was there, I stole an opportunity to check out the Niagara Brewing Company, and purchase a selection of their wares. One of these was Beerdevil IPA, a swampy amber-brown grog with a luscious off-white foam. The beer, 6.5% alcohol, came in 473mL cans with a barrel riding demon in a jaunty top hat.

Beerdevil had a surprisingly grainy, malt-focused nose and a flavour to match. Definitely an English-style IPA, the flavour was primarily malty on the front end, with caramel and grain notes. It’s IPA credentials were more prominently on display in the finish, which had some sticky hops notes and a bit of an evergreen vibe.

All told, Beerdevil was both unmemorable and enjoyable. It tasted pretty predictable, with only a modest nod to high hops. However, it had a nice warming quality that shouldn’t be dismissed, particularly as I drank it during the first sub-zero evening of Winter 2017. To me, it had more English pale ale qualities than those of an IPA, and it was modestly low on the booze bill. I’d gladly drink it again though. Really, it reminded me of a classic Toronto stalwart, No. 7 IPA from Duggans, though with less crisp hops.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment