Saturday 7 October 2017

Fresh Start Summit APA

During a rare trip east of Yonge Street, I recently popped into the newly operational Eastbound Brewing Co. I didn't stay for a pint, but I did come home with a couple of cans, including a 355mL one containing their Fresh Start Summit APA.


At the standard 5% alcohol, Fresh Start is a hazy, orange-gold beer with a vivid and sudsy off-white head. It has a pretty funky yeast and hops nose, with notes of fermented fruit. Interestingly, I didn't love my first can of Fresh Start; however, a second brush with this little brew left me feeling much more engaged and impressed. The flavour has some modest juice notes, as well as a dank and resinous tang. There are pretty decent yeast elements, and a fug of subterranean vibes. It had a dry finish, but not one that was as crisp as I was hoping for.

For my first try of a new brewery's offerings, I liked Fresh Start far more than I expected to. APA is a style that is oft attempted and seldom innovated, but this one got it done with some verve. Funky yeast elements and wacky hops made this a pretty intriguing ale.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment