Sunday 3 September 2017

Shotgun Wedding

I found myself in Bardstown, Kentucky--Bourbon Capital of the World--with the Bitter Wife and two great friends. After an afternoon spent touring a distillery, I needed a bit of a break from the Kentucky Brown, so we ducked into the 3rd Street Tap House for a quick brew.

I selected a pint of Shotgun Wedding, a 5.3% alcohol vanilla brown ale brewed by Country Boy Brewing, in Lexington, Kentucky.
 
My pint poured hazy, with an amber-brown hue and thinnish layer of off-white head. It had a warm, toasty malt nose with smooth vanilla tones and some caramel sweetness. The flavour is incredibly mild, but sweet. It has a malt focus with understated vanilla bean notes. It finishes sweetly, with a slightly toasted quality and just a hint of bitterness.

I thought that shotgun wedding was pretty decent, though not really anything to write home about. It was mellow and approachable, but a bit too sweet for a second.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment