Friday 4 August 2017

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Je Ne Sais Quoi from the Little Known Brewing Co. in Barrie, Ontario left me with a bit of a conundrum as a beer reviewer and blogger. According to the 473mL cans, Little Know seeks to make "beer beyond definition" and described the hazy golden liquid inside as "mysteriously obscure and beyond conventional categories. It's meant to be enjoyed, not defined." My problem is this: I try to meet people where they're at, but it sure is hard to right a beer review without slapping some kind of a label and descriptor on the stuff. So, with some reservations, I decided to attach some adjectives to the "previously uncategorizable" suds.

Seriously though, JNSQ is a pale ale. At just 4.2%, it's a crisp, session-friendly American-style pale ale. It has a sweet, yet bitter citrus bouquet that wafts nicely through the thick layer of bright white head. The taste is less sweet than the nose, but no less citrus-oriented. The mouthfeel is thin, yet crisp, with a short, dry finish. More on the finish: it has a pretty substantially bitter vibe, as well as some agreeable perfume notes to give it a vaguely floral angle.

Obviously, I didn't know what to expect when I bought my can of Je Ne Sais Quoi. But, upon sampling it, I found myself quite thoroughly pleased. Other than a slightly patchy opening note, I thought the beer was impressively flavourful and quite tasty.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment