Wednesday 1 February 2017

Sunny Day IPA

Sunny Day IPA is, according to its label, "made from sunshine and lake breezes", which sounds cute, but I was relieved to discover that hops and barley were also an integral (if uncredited) part of the process. From Harvey Lake, New Brunswick, Sunny Day is from Off Grid Ales. It's sold in 500mL bottles and contains 5.5% alcohol--a bit on the low octane side for an IPA. My beer was very clear and brassy, with a nice off-white head.

Sunny Day had very little by way of aroma, but the nose that was there proved to be metallic, with a nice hoppy undercurrent. For an IPA with lower than average booze, I was hoping for dry and crisp. That desire was ably satisfied by a beer that proved bright and cheery, with a decently dry back end. However, I found the flavour to be a bit wanting. It was slightly floral and perfumed, which I enjoyed, but there wasn't quite enough of it to keep my attention.

Off Grid's Sunny Day was my first go with the new brewery's offerings, and though it wasn't my fave, it definitely whetted my appetite to try some of their other brews. It was, though not entirely to my taste, quite well made.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment