Sunday 18 December 2016

North Country Kellerbier

Yet another new light on the Ontario craft brewing horizon is Boshkung Brewing Co., an outfit operating out of Minden Hills. The first I heard of Boshkung was when I spotted a 473mL can of their North Country Kellerbier on the shelf at my favourite beer vendor. At 5%, this cellared ale meets the average in terms of strength. My beer poured a swampy orange-brown hue, with a modest cap of off-white head.

North Country had a grainy and slightly floral scent. I found it to be a malt focused ale, and one that closed out with a degree of caramel and bready elements.

According to my can of North Country, Boshkung is "a small batch Brewery focused on cottage living, local fare and great tasting beer"--sounds like a nice life if you can afford it. Their mellow kellerbier was definitely a laid back effort, though, and one I quite enjoyed. It was a tad too sweet and lacked the hops push I was pulling for, but it was a thoughtful little ale with a complex flavour: one I'll buy again.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment