Friday 11 November 2016

The Gentlemen's Pilsner

The Gentlemen's Pilsner calls Simcoe, Ontario home. It's lovingly crafted by the Blue Elephant Brewing Company and then poured into amazing 473mL cans that feature a mustachioed rogue in profile. It contains the requisite 5% alcohol and is a clear, straw yellow lager without much head beyond a white disc of bubbles.

TGP has a pushy grainy scent that was on me as soon as I cracked the can. The flavour, too, has grain in the crosshairs, though, as with all good pilsners, there is also a nice streak of noble hops running through the finish. The black mark on this beer relates to its mouthfeel, which lacked the crispness that really makes a good pilsner crackle. I found it to be a bit thin and wet for my tastes.

Really, if it weren't for the thin mouthfeel, this would have been a swell pils. As it is, I found a lot of elements to really enjoy. I'd definitely buy it again, but next time I'd make more of an effort to drink it fresh.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment