Monday 21 November 2016

Old Flame Red

From Port Perry, Ontario's Old Flame Brewing Co. comes Old Flame Red. A Vienna lager, OFR contains 5.1% and pours a beautiful deep auburn, clear and with a thick eggshell head. It's sold in slightly sleazy cans that depict a female silhouette, but the can is an unusual 568mL, which is something I don't think I've seen before. According to the copy on the can, "[i]ncredibly balanced, this lager can be enjoyed by both ale and lager drinkers." We shall see.


The nose is robust and agreeable, with a sizable roasted malt body and some breadlines. The flavour is rich and roasty--full of malty goodness. On the finish, there is a slight shuffle toward bitterness, but not quite as far as I'd have wished.

Despite the iffy can, Old Flame Red proved to be a really solid take on the Vienna lager. Flavourful and deep, in a large format, I was more than pleased. This is a brewery I'll be monitoring in the months to come, since they've shown me that they can deliver a tricky style with nuance.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment