Wednesday 14 September 2016

root of evil


root of evil is billed as a "preprohibition lager". It's a 4.5% amber-gold lager from Ottawa, Ontario's Whiprsnapr Brewing Co. In spite of the irritatingly incorrect spelling of its name, Whiprsnapr's 473mL cans feature a clever logo using the square root symbol. The lager pours with a healthy fog of loose off-white head.


ROE is malty through the nose, with big grainy notes and a bit of sweetness. The flavour is punchy, but not entirely to my taste. It tastes primarily grainy, but has a curious down note that put me in mind of some of the gluten-free, sorghum beers I've tried. This curious taste lasted in to the finish and left me a bit nonplussed.

For a low alcohol lager, root of evil has a jumbo flavour, which is definitely to its credit. The fact that I wasn't wild about that flavour isn't a great feature though. I appreciate Whiprsnapr's innovation, and I'll keep my eye out for more of their brews, but their preprohibition lager wasn't for me. As always, though, that I wasn't mad about it doesn't mean you won't like it.

Rating: 5.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment