Sunday 7 August 2016

The Calling IPA

I spied a four-pack of 355mL bottles of The Calling IPA at my local beer vendor. The minimalist packaging, nice lettering, and 8.5% alcohol all spoke to me, so I bought some, even though they were approaching $15 for the quartet, which struck me as a tad steep. The Calling comes from Kansas City, Missouri, where it is brought into existence by the Boulevard Brewing Co. Apparently, this boozy number is a member of Boulevard's "Smokestack Series". It's a hazy straw gold ale, crowned with a feisty white head. Billed as an India Pale Ale, I'd actually call this stuff a double IPA, given its oomph.


To my nose, notes were lemony, evergreen-tinged, and bitter. The taste packed still more citrus punch, adding orange peel into the mix. It's quite juicy, but also extremely boozy, which adds a layer of candied sweetness.

Strong and punchy, The Calling had a lot to commend it. However, the potent sweetness took away from what was otherwise a nice, citrus flavour.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment