Monday 15 August 2016

Freigeist Abraxxxas

Freigeist Abraxxxas is billed as a "pear lichtenhainer". According to the 500mL bottle's label, lichtenhainer is a tart eastern German wheat beer style. This one is brewed with pears by Freigeist Bierkultur, out of Stolberg, Germany.
 

At 6%, Freigeist Abraxxxas has some spine. It's a rusty orange-gold brew that pours clouding and with a handsome off-white cap of foam. The aroma has unexpected (because I didn't read the whole label before I bought it) smokiness, and less fruit and sour than anticipated. The flavour is genuinely unusual. It's multifaceted, with serious smoke, malt, and a hint of sweet pear all clambering for attention, while there were very few sour elements.

This beer left me baffled, but satisfied. I found it to be a lot like a weird culinary combo: something that sounds gross on paper, but ends up being an engaging gastronomical experience. This beer moved the same way. I never would have paired (pun intended) pears, tart wheat, and hearty smoke notes in a single brew, but this stuff made me shake my head and smile. It could have been more tart, however. That element was a bit lacking.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment