Wednesday 6 April 2016

Brygg Måstarens Swedish Premium Gold

I haven't had all that much experience with Swedish beers, so when I spotted cans of Brygg Måstarens Swedish Premium Gold, I hastened to pick one up. The clear bright gold lager comes Vimmerby, Sweden, where it's brewed by Åbro Brewery. At 5.9%, I'm grudgingly willing to call this a strong lager. It pours from its 500mL can with lots of carbonation and a layer of fluffy white head.

Brygg Måstatens has a reasonably potent aroma that is rich with sweet grass, grain, and a few metallic notes.  The mouthfeel isn't exactly crisp--rather, it's a bit think and slow for a lager. The flavour is quite grassy and very sweet. Toward the finish, the beer starts to turn toward bitterness, but, in my opinion, there aren't enough hops to satisfactorily close the door on this one.

While I found this lager to be a bit on the sweet site and a bit lacking in crispness, I don't want to give the idea that I didn't like it or wouldn't buy it again. Really, it was a decent, satisfying "starköl".

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment