Wednesday 23 March 2016

Burdock Dark Saison

The final installment of the mixed 4-pack of Burdock Brewery beers that I was gifted was their Dark Saison, a 7.5% brew that I was looking forward to a lot. It came in a very snazzy 500mL bottle, but the beer inside proved even better looking--porter dark ale beneath a sudsy, khaki head.

This Torontonian tipple featured a yeasty beast of a nose, supplemented with spicy and floral notes. The flavour was equally yeasty, but balanced with the roasted malt elements of a dark ale, and a slight touch of a bloody iron taste.

This was a grand saison--full-flavoured, well balanced, and unique. The mouthfeel wasn't quite as lively as I might have wanted, but then again, this bottle wasn't extremely fresh, having inhabited my refrigerator for a few weeks over the winter holidays. Of the four Burdock beers I was given, this was easily the crème de la crème.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment