Thursday 18 February 2016

100% Brett Golden Ale

Another ale from the Torontonian Burdock Brewery gifted to me by R.H., 100% Brett Golden Ale was just what the name suggested, a golden ale fermented with Brettanomyces yeast. At 6.5%, it had some heft, but not too much to distract from flavour, and the Spartan label on the 500mL bottle was too plain to distract from anything.

The beer was a honey gold colour, faintly hazy, and topped with off-white suds. The funky wild yeast gave the beer a tangy, fruity aroma, alongside an earthy musk reminiscent of many Belgian beers. If the engaging nose was 100% Brett's best attribute, its disappointingly thing mouthfeel had to be its worst, at least as far as I'm concerned. Somewhere in between was the flavour, which was less tart and lively than the scent led me to expect, but which was still pretty funky and interesting. It finished dryly and quite pleasantly.

Burdock's 100% Brett Golden Ale was a mixed bag of a beer. Aromatic, inviting, thin, fruity, and alright are words that came to my mind as I was downing my glass.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment