Friday 8 January 2016

Dark Horse Stout

Cooking rotini primavera for dinner on a Monday evening, I worked up quite a thirst--one that I decided to quench with an oatmeal stout, specifically Dark Horse Stout, brewed in Ottawa, Ontario by the Broadhead Brewing Company. At 5.5%, it had enough pop to curry my favour, and it sure looked nice when poured out of its 473mL can--opaque black, topped with a saucy tan head.

Rich and malty to my nose, Dark Horse also had mocha elements as well as a whiff of hay. It delivered a velvety smooth mouthfeel that went a long way, and a mild flavour that aimed a bit lower. Less robust than I'd  wished for from an oatmeal stout, notes were primarily malty, with some cafe au lait and a touch of leather, as well as a bit of bitterness at the end (26 IBUs according to the can).

Dark Horse was a pretty nice little stout to keep me occupied while cooking up some rotini. It wasn't particularly flavourful, but it didn't hit any off notes either. With its smooth texture and wealthy aroma, I counted myself reasonably satisfied.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment