Wednesday 28 October 2015

Midtfyns Bryghus Imperial Stout

I've tried hundred--thousands--of different beers in my life, but Midtfyns Bryghus Imperial Stout provided me with something that I've never noticed before and something I'd like to see more of: braille on the label. Oddly, the city of origin isn't listed on the label of the 500mL bottle (at least not on the English language side), but a trip to the Midtfyns Bryghus website told me that the beer comes from Årslev, Denmark.


This Imperial Stout is an imposing beer. It contains a whopping 9.5% alcohol and is a jet black brew topped with a deep tan head. According to the label, this stuff is aged with oak, and I found that the sweet woodiness really comes through in the nose, as does a rich bourbon quality. The flavour is also quite oaky. It's fiercely malty with a damning quantity of boozy heat. There is lots of rich mocha here, which gives way to a dusky, bitter finish.

A thoughtful sipper, this beer pairs well with an after dinner cigar, much like a port. It left me feeling drowsy and mellow. The sweet heat to bitter cocoa progression luxurious, though by the end of the glass, I was wishing for a bit more hops dynamism to cut some sweetness.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment