Saturday 12 September 2015

Smuttynose Robust Porter

From Hampton, New Hampshire, where they live free or die, comes Smuttynose Robust Porter. It's a 6.6% alcohol brew sold in 355mL bottles that feature a curious carnival scene rendered in black and white. It's a dark, nearly black ale that looks like a mug of root beer with its foamy tan head. There is a soft, malty aroma that has notes of molasses and cocoa. In terms of mouthfeel, the stuff is very creamy, but with a short stab of bitterness at the finish. The taste is characterized by vaguely sweet and vaguely bitter molasses notes, and there is also a touch of dried fruit.


This beer proved itself hard to keep in my fridge. I bought a sixer, but it disappeared before I had the chance to scratch out a review. On to six pack number two, I was down to the last two bottles before I managed to put pen to paper. This effort, from Smuttynose Brewing Company, isn't a remarkable or innovative porter--just a very well made one. I like it a lot.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment