Thursday 4 June 2015

Hopraiser West Coast IPA

Hopraiser West Coast IPA takes its name (according to the label) from a historical term for a grower of hops, as well as from the long-defunct Squamish Valley Hop Raising Company. Hopraiser is a swampy gold brew that topples out of a mammoth 1L bottle with a fluffy eggshell head. The bottle comes capped and also features a swing top, adorably suggesting that I might not finish it all in one session. In fact, I was watching a Toronto Raptors playoff game when I pried the cap off of this stuff, so I was quite happy to have a beer large enough to save me from getting away from my TV for a good chunk of the game.


At 6% alcohol and 50 IBUs, this ale from Squamish, British Columbia isn't a bruiser by I.P.A. standards, though this offering from the Howe Sound Brewing Co. does have a pungent floral and citrus aroma. It's flavour is at times resinous, but it's mostly built around bitter grapefruit notes.

Hopraiser is a quality India pale ale--it's not a special or unusual beer, but it's clearly carefully and lovingly crafted. The result is a nice ale and, importantly, one that comes in a jumbo bottle.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment