Sunday 8 February 2015

The Poet Oatmeal Stout

The Poet Oatmeal Stout is an opaque, black ale from Holland, Michigan. It's brewed by New Holland Brewing Co. The alcoholic percentage isn't listed on the bottle, I'd already recycled the cardboard six pack holder on which it was listed, and I don't have a QR code reader on my phone (the bottle has a code for "brand info and stats"), so I had to go to the New Holland website--it contains 5.2% alcohol and has 37 IBUs. It pours with a modest but durable covering of tawny head. The spooky label on the 355mL bottle features a raven silhouetted against a full moon.



Smooth, slightly sweet, malt aroma on The Poet had some nice espresso leanings. A velvet mouthfeel really showcases a molasses and chocolate-heavy mocha flavour. There's a healthy coffee finish that provides bitter balance.

A nice example of an oatmeal stout, my only minor complaints have to do with sweetness. A much better than fine dark ale--I'd definitely buy it again.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment