Thursday 26 February 2015

Riptide Rye Pale Ale


From the Southern Ontario city of London comes Riptide Rye Pale Ale, a product of the Forked River Brewing Company. Riptide is sold in 500mL bottles and contains a respectable 5.7% alcohol. When I spotted this stuff at my local liquor store, I was actually about to leave for London the following morning for some rock and roll, so I pretty much had to buy it. It pours a cloudy, rusty brown colour underneath a layer of off-white head that was never thick and which faded to a fine disc in no time. 

There's a studly aroma with sweet, malt elements and a bitter rye spiciness. The mouthfeel is much less astringent than I expected-really quite creamy for an R.P.A.--and doesn't have a lot of carbonation. It's flavour is pretty engaging. The flavour kicks off with malt and caramel, but soon passes into a tangy rye finish that is supplemented with a respectably bitter backing.

I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for more brews from Forked River. Riptide isn't my favourite R.P.A. out of Ontario, but it certainly has a nice vibe. Insufficient carbonation and too thin mouthfeel aside, I'll definitely be buying this beer again.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment