Friday 5 December 2014

Winnikeg, Manitobeer--Angry Fish Pilsner

Named in honour of the Winnipeg Goldeyes baseball team, Angry Fish Pilsner is brewed by Fort Garry Brewing Company operating out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. It's a hazy, amply carbonated, and sunny pale lager. It poured with a disappointingly thin layer of white head that faded into oblivion very quickly.

For a pilsner, I found this beer to have a sharp bitterness to its aroma that nicely compliments the grainy base. The flavour is not too shabby, with considerable cereal flavour that builds to a gently bitter Teutonic hoppiness. There is a bit of a sweet corn note that didn't really agree with me, though.

While I enjoyed this beer well enough, I think that a bit more crispness in the mouthfeel and a little less initial sweetness would have made for a better brew. I also wish that it tasted as bitter as its aroma promised. It is, however, the kind of beer that I can easily picture downing ice cold and in copious quantities at the ballpark on a hot July afternoon.


Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment