Sunday 12 October 2014

100th Meridian Organic Amber Lager

The Mill St. Brewery in Toronto gave birth to 100th Meridian Organic Amber Lager. I had an afternoon pint on tap at a generic downtown Toronto Irish pub while waiting for my wife to get her hair cut. It arrived a clear, dirty gold brew topped with a nice eggshell head. I was a bit surprised by the colour--I think "amber" is a bit of a stretch.

The aroma is mild and comfortable. There is a modest roasted malt aroma and a whiff of copper. On tap, I found this beer to have an unexpectedly creamy and velvety mouthfeel--I wonder whether the bottled version is similar in this respect. This beer has a laid back taste--malty, toasty, and a tad bready. At the finish, there is a fragile hop swing that adds a measure of crispness. According to Mill St.'s website, this stuff clocks in at a standard 5% alcohol.

All in all, I liked this beer just fine. It's not particularly flavourful for an amber lager, but it's restrained taste is certainly enjoyable. It's not big enough to bring me back, but I can definitely see how other drinkers could find this stuff engaging. Fittingly, there was a Tragically Hip song playing as I finished my review. Not "At the Hundredth Meridian", but still.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment