Friday 9 May 2014

8-Ball Stout

From Eureka, California's Lost Coast Brewery comes 8-Ball Stout. At 5.8% alcohol, 8-Ball is billed as a "strong stout", though I don't know if that percentage is worthy of the name. It's a very dark, almost fully opaque, blackish ruby ale, topped with a lusty tan head. It came in a 650mL bottle.


This beer has an aroma that isn't forceful, but is very alluring. It has notes of cookies baking, alongside cocoa and coffee. The flavour voyages from malty to bitter. It's initially gentle, with tasty mocha and molasses qualities. It's rich, but mild up front, with a smooth mouthfeel. The back end has some hop punch, though not quite the unbridled bitterness that I was pulling for.

I found this beer to be fairly charming and well balanced; however, I object to a mild-tasting beer with 5.8% alcohol calling itself a "strong stout". I enjoyed this stuff, but I'd have preferred a bit more booze and a bit more body.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment