Saturday 8 March 2014

M.P.A.

M.P.A. (Marlborough Pale Ale) is a tasty brew from Blenheim, Marlborough, New Zealand's Renaissance Brewing. It clocks in at a weighty 8.5% alcohol and comes in 500mL bottles. According to the bottle, this stuff is brewed using N.Z. hops. The label prepared me for "an explosion of Rakan hops".

This is a darkish, auburn ale--hazy and topped with a cloud of cream head. It's big, boozy aroma gives off notes of raisin and a strong dose of slightly spicy hops. This formidable beer navigates a fine balance between malty, fruitcake notes and a spicy, well-rounded, bitter finish. Accompanying both main facets of the flavour is ample alcoholic warmth. A bit less emphasis on the rasin notes on the front end would have been alright with me.

I was so eager to try this stuff that I drank a third of it before I remembered to take a picture. Imagine more head.
The label suggested pairing this beer with spicy dishes or an aged cheese. All I had was a mini-wheel of Babybel, but it was a pretty nice accompanyment.

Another winner from a fantastic Kiwi brewery, this stuff is flavourful and strong, with some subtlety and more malt than many Imperial I.P.A.s.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment