Thursday 20 March 2014

Imperial IPA for Autism

Holy crap!  This is my 500th blog post!  I've had loads of fun since I started Stout Man in a Bitter World. I've learned a lot, improved my palate, and tried ridiculous amount of amazing beers.  Thanks to everyone who has been reading my blog. I really appreciate the support. Cheers!

For my 500th post, I wanted to write about something unique.  I chose Central City Brewers & Distillers' enjoyable Imperial IPA for Autism. According to the bottle, "$5 per bottle goes to autism research". That's a pretty serious slice of the purchase price and extremely decent.

This strong brew clocks in at a zesty 9% alcohol and has a staggering 90 IBUs. It comes in loud 650mL bottles that feature a puzzle motif

It's a cloudy brownish copper coloured ale that pours beneath a thick cream head. Its formidable aroma blends boozy warmth, caramel sweetness, and a hoppy punch. This stuff tastes every bit as strong as its 9% alcohol. Behind all the booze, there is a substantial malt body built around caramel notes. As for bitterness, at 90 IBUs, big hop character was no surprise. A very strong, resinous hop flavour dominates this brew.

I'm afraid that I played this all wrong. I downed a bottle on a muggy July afternoon after losing a squash match. It hit me like a tonne of bricks.  This is, in my opinion, definitely not a summer beer. In spite of all the bitterness, I found this stuff to be a bit too sweet and boozy to make it anything but a special occasion brew. Still, it's a fine beer with ample flavour. And with lots of dough going to a good cause, you should definitely try it.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment