Saturday 11 January 2014

Propeller IPA

Propeller IPA is another solid product of Halifax, Nova Scotia's John Allen Brewing Company. Sold in 341mL bottles and weighing in at 6.5% alcohol, the India Pale Ale is a lazy, hazy golden ale. It pours with a short-lived off-white head.

An aromatic brew, the Prop's IPA has a nose that features notes of swamp, hempen hops and a feather touch of fruit sweetness. The flavour starts out sweet with caramel and citrus touches before shifting to bitter. Its hop profile blends citrus, hemp, and evergreen and it has a very dry, bitter finish.

In some ways, this beer has an atypical flavour for an I.P.A. It's a bit swampy and muddled. At first, I wasn't wild about this beer, but as I worked my way through my six pack, I came to appreciate what this ale brings to the table--it's hoppy, layered, and enticing. I wouldn't mild a jolt more malt in the early going, but I commend you to enjoy a bottle or two if you come across this stuff.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment