Saturday 4 May 2013

Nickel Brook Green Apple Pilsner

I'm not going to sugarcoat it, you guys.  I do not like Nickel Brook Green Apple Pilsner.  I do not.  In my personal opinion, it's too light, too sweet, oddly flavoured, and ill-conceived.  There.  I said it.

Nickel Brook Green Apple Pilsner comes from Burlington, Ontario, where it is brewed by the Better Bitters Brewing Co., makers of the vastly superior Headstock IPA, and a number of other quality brews.  The Green Apple Pilsner is sold in lurid 473mL cans and contains a wimpy 4% alcohol. It pours a slightly hazy pale straw colour. It is mildly carbonated and lives beneath a bright white head. The can claims that N.B.G.A.P. is "The perfect beer for those looking to try something new".  Clearly, I do not share that sentiment.

The aroma leans heavily toward Granny Smith apples, but has a saccharine, candied quality. The beer itself is very thin and light. It tastes like green apple candies. According to the can, the brew is combined with "natural green apple cider", but in my opinion, it tastes rather manufactured. There isn't a whole lot of beer presence to speak of, except for a faint hint of bitterness at the close.  The brew is extremely sweet, though it manages to be fairly refreshing.

I'm not much of a fan of hard ciders, personally, but I would be very interested to know what cider drinkers have to say about this stuff. I have really enjoyed a number of other Nickel Brook beers in the past, but this one just isn't for me.  Please, don't let me discourage you from trying this stuff.  You might really enjoy it, and I would hate to begrudge anyone a beer that they like. However, if you're at my place and leave a can in my fridge, this is one of the few beers that will almost certainly still be there the next time you come over.

Rating: 3.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment