Friday 4 January 2013

Gourd-geous Brews--St.-Ambroise Citrouille-The Great Pumpkin Ale

Montreal's McAuslan Brewery Inc. is, in my opinion, one of the finest in Canada.  A real treasure. When I saw that they made a pumpkin ale, I jumped at the chance to try it. St.-Ambroise Citrouille-The Great Pumpkin Ale was on sale in the liquor store in convenient four packs of 341mL bottles. It contains 5% alcohol and pours a clear copper-orange colour topped with a quickly thinning cream head.

Citrouille has a well spiced pumpkin aroma. Its tasty pumpkin pie flavour has lots of warm spice notes. It has a little extra spice kick than many of the other pumpkin beers I've tried this season. The label says that it contains ginger--I suspect that might be the source of the extra kick.  Beer-wise, there is some pleasant ale bitterness near the finish, but this one is clearly about pumpkin and spice first and foremost.

Another very tasty brew from one of my favourite breweries, Citrouille is hugely flavourful and delicious.  A bit more focus on the beer side of things might improve the rating a bit, but this stuff works as it is.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment