Thursday 23 February 2012

Elli Will-Bière d'Épinettes

My French isn't great, but my nose is getting better.  I'm going to say that this is a spruce beer--it smells like a tree farm and it tastes like Christmas.  This intriguing brew comes from Ham-Sud, Quebec, where it is brewed by les Brasseurs du Hameau.  It is sold in 500mL bottles and weighs in at 5.5%.

Elli Will pours a cloudy, whitish colour that makes it look like a weiss bier.  It is topped by a moderate foam of off-white head.  It has an undeniable spruce scent--very forest-y.  This beer tastes like drinking a Christmas tree.  It is sweet to bitter, but the prevailing flavour is definitely softwood.  The aftertaste is slightly bitter, and remains Christmas, through and through.
An interesting product, worth a try for its novelty value alone, this beer also has considerable merit.  It wouldn't be a brew that I'd crave, nor would I sit down to a second, but it's one that I would be glad to revisit.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment