Friday 7 October 2011

Propeller-Extra Special Bitter

I always get a bit excited when I find an East Coast beer on the shelf at the Liquor Store here in Upper Canada.  Makes me feel a bit closer to home.  And when I find an East Coast beer, you'd better believe I'm going to buy it.
Propeller hails from Halifax, Nova Scotia.  They have a delicious line-up of beers, but my favourite is definitely the Extra Special Bitter.  The ESB is sold in 341mL bottles and weighs in at 5% alcohol.

I enjoyed this brew at my good buddy Matt's place.  Unfortunately, Matty does not possess any beer steins, so I drank my suds out of the lid of a blender.  If anybody is wondering what to get Matt for his birthday, beer steins might be a solid choice.
The ESB pours a dark brown.  According to Matt, it is a "root beer brown."  It is quite carbonated for a bitter, but there is almost no head.  The aroma is very malty, with notes of molasses.  Likewise, the taste has a molasses quality.  The beer is full-bodied.  It is well balanced, moving from malty to bitter.  Pleasantly, the initial taste is malty without being sweet.  The aftertaste is nice and hoppy.

According to Matt, the beer tastes of molasses.  The ESB is bitter but not heavy, having a medium body and mouthfeel.  Finally, he observed that the ESB possesses a "saltwater-esque" quality that reminded him of saltwater taffy.

We both agreed that the Propeller Extra Special Bitter is an excellent ale.  It has a large, complicated flavour without being overpowering.  If you see it on the shelf or on tap, give it a try.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment